Thursday, February 15, 2007

"On the Bottom"

Chapter 2: On the Bottom
Primo Levi describes the condition of his mind in chapter 2. He states that he, along with the other prisoners, is in the lowest state a human can be. He says that they are deprived of virtually everything they have, including their name; they are given numbers. In my opinion, the Jews in the concentration camps were treated worse than dogs. I guess the Nazis did not actually see the Jews as humans. That is why Primo Levi says the Germans “give us nothing to drink, while nobody explains anything, and we have no shoes or clothes, but we are all naked with our feet and the water.” The Nazis were unconcerned about the needs or questions of the Jews.
I wonder if Primo Levi had any hope in surviving or escaping the camps. He states that anyone who thinks that he will survive in the camps is crazy, and all will eventually die, but I am doubtful of this assertion. Certainly he would have a bit of hope of returning to his normal life, even merely by thinking about the outrageousness or absurdity of his own situation. However, I understand the discouragement he would have had in such a degrading environment. The whole purpose of the Germans in sending Jews to the concentration camps was to make them feel that they are worthless.
I had to be thankful of what I am and what I have right now. There are many who value me including my family and friends, and therefore I value myself. Primo Levi in turn had none of this when he was sent to Birkenau. What I take for granted would have been of enormous value to him.

No comments: